Every medium — be it a book, a stage or a projection — has its intrinsic qualities and limitations. But for me, it’s always about the concept and the storytelling. The rest is form, colour, light and proportion.
As an adolescent, Matthias’s professional aspirations ranged from set design to architecture and medicine. He eventually opted for studying graphic design in Vienna from 2000–2002 and honed his typographic skills at UK-based type foundry Dalton Maag. He then gathered work experience as a graphic designer at Designhouse Consultancy in London, from 2002–2004.
After two years of travelling and working in Latin America, Matthias explored his interest in language and cultures studying literary translation (English and Spanish) at University of Vienna, earning his MA in 2011.
Matthias founded the studio in 2006 and has since then worked on an ever wider range of projects, from branding and print design to photography and, most recently, set and video design for opera.
With a varied set of interests and skills, Matthias Kronfuss studio specialises in
- – Branding
- – Set design
- – Book design
- – Photography
- – Video design
- – May 2019: "La Clemenza di Tito" at Oldenburgisches Staatstheater (Director: Laurence Dale)
Assistant set designer
- – from December 2020: Bayerische Staatsoper (Set designer: Michael Levine)
- – September 2020: "Madama Butterfly" at Staatsoper Wien (Set designer: Michael Levine)
- – October 2018: "Guillaume Tell" at Theater an der Wien (Set designer: Herbert Schäfer)
- – September 2017: "Die Zauberflöte" at Theater an der Wien (Set designer: Herbert Schäfer)
- – April 2017: "Die Tote Stadt" for Komische Oper Berlin (Set designer: Michael Levine)
- – November 2016: "Madama Butterfly" for Opernhaus Zürich (Set designer: Michael Levine)
- – July 2016: "The Rake's Progress" for Festival d'Aix-en-Provence (Set designer: Michael Levine)
- – September 2015: "Le Petit Prince" for Ballet of Canada (Set designer: Michael Levine)
Matthias Kronfuss studio
1060 Vienna, Austria
mobile +43 (0) 699 115 271 87
AGB/Terms & Conditions